No matter how hard you try to protect your furniture from getting stained or dirty, you are never going to be successful in it. Therefore, the best option is to clean them regularly. Now you can either do it yourself or hire a professional upholstery clean service to help you out. But sometimes people may hesitate to spend money on cleaning services doubting their services. If that is the case then, here you go with some pro tips which will let you clean your furniture like a professional upholstery clean service.
Tips To Follow
Follow these easy tips given below and clean your upholstery like a pro:
- Vacuum Cleaner Is the Saviour: The number one tip to keep your upholstery clean is to vacuum it regularly. You have no idea how much of dirt and debris remains hidden in the fibres of your upholstery but with a little help from the vacuum cleaner you can get rid of it all. Dust and dirt not only spoils the look of your upholstery furniture but it can also wear the fibres of your furniture. Therefore, to make your furniture last long regular cleaning is most needed. You can also use a stiff brittle brush to swipe away the loose dirt and debris. Use the crevice tool in order to reach the nooks- and-crannies of the upholstery.
- Wipe It Off With Baby Wipes: You may not believe it but baby wipes are quite effective when it comes to upholstery cleaning. Baby wipes provide a good mixture of soap and water along with a little moisture which is just perfect for cleaning your upholstery furniture. In fact baby wipes are also surprisingly effective in cleaning spots. Keep a pack of baby wipes stashed in your living room for instant access in case you drip some coffee on the furniture. You can instantly remove them with the help of baby wipes. Try it out to know it for yourself.
- Follow The Code: Know the code of your piece before you start cleaning. If the code reads ‘W’ then it’s okay to use water. So you can remove the covers and take them for a laundry wash but obviously after reading the instructions provided by the manufacturer. But, if the code reads ‘S’ then it means skip the water. In that situation you have to use a non-water based solvent in order to clean your furniture. You can use alcohol for that purpose. Spray it lightly on the area you want to clean and blot it with a scrubby sponge or a clean white cloth. ‘S/W’ means that you can either use water or solvents for cleaning purpose. Whereas ‘X’ indicates that you can use neither of them except vacuum.
- Don’t Scrub It: No matter how tough the stain is, it’s better to avoid scrubbing because that may cause damage to the fibres and even grind the stain further deep into it. Therefore, use a stain remover instead and let it soak in and then blot it away. Instead of a bristled brush or a coarse fabric you can use a soft piece of microfiber cloth for blotting. If the fibres get stiff after cleaning, loosen the material with the help of a soft brush.
- Less Water Is Better: Many people have this wrong notion that using more water will help remove the stains easily. But that is not true. Instead you should use a formulated solvent preferably a water-free one to remove the spots. These upholstery sprays are inexpensive and works wonderfully on moist stains.
- Pet Hair Solution: The best solution is to not allow your pets on the upholstery at all. But we all know that is not possible. Therefore, we have to try out a different solution. Put on a pair of rubber gloves and gently run it over your upholstery furniture. Because of the static created by the rubber gloves, the hair will be pulled off the edge, where you can simply vacuum it off.
- Don’t Forget The Details: Don’t forget to clean the cushion and pillow covers. If they are removable, take them for a laundry wash and then dry them thoroughly. Because any sign of dampness can cause mold.
- Spot Removers: The sooner you try to remove a spot, the better chances you have at removing it. You can simply blot it away with a piece of microfiber cloth, if you spot the stain right away. Use water if it’s okay to use otherwise, there are several upholstery cleaning sprays that you can try. But make sure you vacuum the area before cleaning in order to stop it from spreading.
If you think that all this is too much for you to handle, you can simply hire a professional upholstery clean service and get the work done easily. After all hiring a professional upholstery clean service will be a better option than doing it all by yourself.